Friday, January 30, 2015

Maria Montessori


Maria Montessori was the first woman in Italy to get a medical degree. Hello feminist! Right off the bat I am aligned with Montessori in believing education is meant for all people, not just boys from “good” families.

The Montessori in its purest form is based upon three tenets:
  • Preparing the most natural and life-supporting environments for the child
  • Observing the child living freely in this environment
  • Continually adapting the environment in order that the child may fulfill his or her greatest potential, physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.
Part of my education philosophy is that everyone can learn with the right support. I am in full agreement with the first belief. I am in agreement with belief number two about 65% of the time. I think there are some students who if left on their own would be observed to aimlessly wander freely forever. I think these students need a little more encouragement if not a swift kick in the bottom to get them moving. That swift kick could be new ideas, a change in their environment, or a little direction.  As for the third belief, I am in agreement a little more but not completely sold. I’d say I’m about 92% in alignment. I think some students need more consistency and continually adapting their environment would do more harm than good.

Overall, my philosophy aligns pretty well with Montessori. I chose her out of the 20 or so presented in class even though there were others who I am more aligned with because of the uniqueness of her mission and how it’s carried out. My family went on the tour at the Montessori school on Zolezzi Lane in Reno when our oldest girl was getting ready for preschool. On one hand we were being told about all of the wonderful research from Montessori, exploring the gardens where the kids grew vegetables and fruits that were used in their meals and snacks, and falling in love with the classrooms and creativity of it all. 

On the other hand we experienced sticker shock at the pricetag such luxury fetches and a little culture shock at the lack of diversity. When we asked about the homogeneity of the school, we were told “Well that is our Reno demographic” with a chuckle and a shrug of shoulders. What we wanted to hear was how they were going to diversify their recruitment efforts and how they introduced a love of learning and respect for other cultures. And there is no bus that goes there; school bus nor public transportation will get you there. And sure, they have French lessons, music lessons, dance lessons, and more all for an additional cost.

Are you kidding me?

Something tells me Maria Montessori’s vision was not education for only the affluent majority who could afford it and get their kids there. So, I am in great alignment with the Montessori philosophy, but conversely I am in great opposition to how it is carried out in Reno.


http://www.montessori.edu/maria.html

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great blog Jeannette! I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on Montessori. I admire Montessori's feminist ideals. I say ideals, because I too believe sometime her ideals can be a stretch and that every student is different and have different educational experiences.

On another note, wow is all I have to say about the Montessori school... That is too bad that the school is more focused on its monetary values versus its diversity values. I am sure they probably didn't intentionally do this, but I think this is a prime example of our country's institution on education. This then becomes a social class issue while it furthers the affluent students and proceeding to keep down the lower-income students. Montessori would be rolling in her grave...